Tuesday, December 29, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things....

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

One of my favorite movies growing up was The Sound of Music. I would watch it even though my brothers would go around making gagging sounds. (They did the same thing when I watched Days of Our Lives later in life.) I have often wondered throughout the years why one of the songs from The Sound of Music was and is a popular Christmas song. I haven't ever complained because it brings back fond memories. I have often used the tune to sing about my favorite things to my children and about their favorite things as well. This Christmas I am thankful for these favorite things...


Free ballet tickets from a wonderful friend!
A beautiful sister that was willing to go with me and spend the day together.
Having a crazy bout of insanity and getting a dog that will eventually probably be bigger than me. She is a german shepherd, boxer mix. We love her!
Getting a huge snowstorm, and going out shopping during it.
My sweet Noah boy. This child keeps me happy.
Mister Zane. His smile melts me.
Ceci and Stevie and their tongues. Both of these girls give me great joy.
Baxter, my helper and enforcer. It's not easy having a child taller than you!
My Mom and Dad. I am so glad that they live close to us and share in our lives.
My sister again. I look up to her example in all areas of her life. She is SUPER!
My lovely husband Steve and my brother-in-law Lincoln. They are both silly and serious and seriously .......
The kids all having fun with McKay.

I have loved my holiday season. Spending time with family and friends, cleaning, cooking, eating and vegging has been wonderful and has definitely kept me from getting sad!!!

9 comments:

Debby said...

It looks like everyone is having a fun time together.

The two old crows said...

love it and ditto.

Lora said...

I have always loved that movie and only watch it when I know for a fact George won't be around to ruin it for me ;)

I am glad you are having a great Christmas break, surrounded by the people you love!

Tina said...

YOU and YOUR FAMILY are one of my favorite things also!!!

Tears in my eyes!!! The holidays are great with family around!

Grandpa Sid said...

I can't put into words how grateful we are to you, Trudy and you, Steve for your overwhelming goodness to us.

Our lives are full of love. We are very blessed.

Our whole family is a great source of joy and love. We are so proud of you all.

Thank you.

Love Dad aka Gramps

Lana said...

Merry Christmas, it looks like it was wonderful at your house:)

Tina said...

After reading your post yesterday, I pulled out "The Sound of Music" and watched it again! It never gets old . . . . . Now I wish I had "Gone with the Wind" on DVD, it is another of my fav's. I guess I'll have to pull out the Video . . . (how old fashioned)!!!

The two old crows said...

I have Gone with the Wind on DVD

Sally Young said...

Looks like you guys had a great Holiday season.